Sunday, November 25, 2012

Writing in the Strings Class

I like the idea of using a blog with my students.  I use my teacher website as a blog for news, posting assignments, reminders, calendar of events and due dates, providing links to interesting and helpful websites, a storage place for copies of things I hand out, pictures and video links of our performances, course outline and expectations.  This website is on the school server, and therefore is subject to all the media expectations which govern the use of that space.  I am not sure about policy on using a site which the DOE or the school board does not have some sort of control over.  The only drawback is that not all the students check the website frequently.  I update it a couple times a month.

I have set up a Moodle classroom for students to use as a forum for their written responses including concert reflections, goal setting, reports, etc.  They will be posting their first assignments over the next week.  I am not sure yet how they will respond to seeing  each other's work, and if that will affect them in their writing.  I would hope that it will  become an asynchronous chat room in which they can ask questions of each other and write or respond for extended learning.

I hope that as the students become more used to having to write for the Strings course (formerly only a performance based course) that they will begin to become motivated to take things deeper. I organize my in- class time mainly around  rehearsing and theory instruction.  The written assignments are a chance for me to learn about the students and how they think, so that I can choose repertoire and activities which are going to motivate better and build skills where there are gaps.  Up to now, I have not marked for content, clarity or spelling and grammar. I have marked assignments on completion (or not) and subjectively on quality of response. (originality, detail, use of musical terminology, depth of understanding and making connections).

This is an evolving project with my students.  Most are receptive to using the on-line Moodle environment for handing in their assignments; several have used it in other classes, I hope it will help organize those students who can't hold on to paper and pencils.

One thing I especially like about blogging is that as you write, your ideas become clearer and you can see where you are heading with an idea.  It is a fast way of writing and it does not require an outline or a complete understanding of the WHOLE  before beginning to write your way through a problem.






Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home